Tuesday, October 15, 2013

Juxtaposition


As I was walking from my hotel I watched the scene happening around me.  The noise of taxis, the howling of the wind, the clatter of people walking by and the L train echoed along the streets.  I was not used to this yet.  

Coming from Florida, it was just touching 65 degrees on the thermometer, and here when the wind picked up, it was a blistering cold 16 degrees.  In Florida, the streets were sprinkled with cars z-o-o-m-i-n-g around town, groups of people cheerfully skipping down the sidewalks while in Chicago the streets were clogged with taxis and the sidewalks covered with w~a~v~e~s of people hiding their emotions from the wind and barely looking around them.  



I felt like a fish;  ~s w i m m i n g~   upstream as I weaved in and out of the crowd trying to reach the tall doors of the green stone building.  It is funny though, how there can be so many people around you but yet, you feel lonely.  I liked the juxtaposition, however.  I could be left alone to my thoughts.  


I walk closer to the building where I have my first interview.  I can feel my heart tugging toward the unknown like Marlow's excitement in Heart of Darkness.  I pulled my hands from my pockets to open the brass doorknob.  The lobby was bright and warm decorated for Christmas.  A plump lady behind the dark granite desk with a cheerful smile welcomed me.  The clatter of ringing telephone and joyful conversations made me smile at the difference between inside and outside.  At that moment, the phone at the font desk rang.  With a few nods, the lady stood up, smiled and said, “He’s ready for your interview.”





No comments:

Post a Comment